Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday's Thank You Notes #4 (5/27/11)--this is a long one!

I actually heard Jimmy speak to a huge crowd at Barnes and Noble on Wednesday and he was awesome! He was interviewed by Katherine Lanpher and he talked about his comedy career and sang songs Neil Young-style. He was so, so funny and so, so humble. He, of course, read some great blurbs from his book and was accompanied on the piano by James Poyser! I bought an autographed copy of his Thank You Notes book and was given access to the "priority-seating" section. I was completely content with being in the same room as Mr. Fallon, snapping at least 40 pictures of him, and getting an autographed copy of his book BUT THEN he said he would personalize the books with our names so OBVIOUSLY I had to get that done. 


While I was waiting in my seat for my turn to line up, I was thinking of things to say to him. As people were getting their books signed, I saw some people give Jimmy CDs and drawings. Oh my goodness. Had I known each person could go up one-by-one to talk to him, I would have prepared a greeting card for him or something. He was super nice and accepted my tattered piece of paper with this blog's web address. =)
******************************************************************************
Jimmy Fallon has a segment on his Late Night show called Thank You Notes every Friday. He, along with his writers, thank people/objects on a weekly basis. It's pretty witty stuff. I've been doing attempting something similar for about a month now. Every Friday I'll make a list of silly and serious thank you's while also posting a homemade thank you card. 

OMG it doesn't look like him at all! It looks like a Muppet!
THANK YOU,
...overly nice and eager store clerks. I had no intention of buying anything from your store, but now I feel really, really pressured. 


...loud gum chewers. Is it the 4th of July? No? Then why do you sound like a firecracker? Are you a cartoon mascot for Kellogg's Rice Krispies? No? Then why are you snapping, crackling, and popping? 


Nope, doesn't look like him from this angle, either. Sorry.
...Oprah Winfrey, for a great 25 years. Every minute of each episode was an inspiration to millions.


...President Obama, for visiting Ireland and inspiring children to wear "O'Bama" shirts. How clever.

...Toyota, for launching a social network that allows drivers to interact with their cars through Twitter and Facebook. You can "friend" your car and even have it tweet you directions to the nearest gas station when your gas tank is low. That seems all fine and dandy, but what if you're driving by yourself and you're not supposed to look at your phone while driving?? Nice try.


On second thought, if I can friend another person's car, it can make for some pretty nice pranks. "Wait, why are the windshield wipers moving by themselves?"

...for reading this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment